VISA EXPERIENCE
Status – approved
Date – 06/06/2018 Time - 12:50
+2 aggregate percentage-83.6
SAT I- 1380 [Not asked]
SAT II- 800 (Math level II) and 790 (Physics) [Not asked]
University- Youngstown State University
Major- Physics – Astronomy combined major
Scholarships- 13k

Feel the magic in the air aale aale aale
Dangal Dangal
I was listening to these songs while heading towards the American Embassy with my parents because I just didn’t want to think about the consequences of my interview. We reached there before an hour of my interview. The security guards told us to come before ten minutes of the interview; therefore, I and my parents stayed in a cafe for around forty-five minutes.

It was time to enter into the embassy. I was told to take out my passport and appointment confirmation. I was having goosebumps at that very moment – This is the opportunity to make my hard work of one whole year fruitful. Waiting in the queue, I was having an eye on people around me and their dress codes( I was actually comparing others’ dress code with mine), but I did not talk to anyone of them as I had plotted the day before my interview. After 15 minutes, I had my security check. Then, I entered into the waiting area with beautiful flowers around it. The US embassy should be applauded for arranging such comfortable seats. LOL. I was really enjoying the time there looking at the flowers.

Everyone there was playing a game there. We were asked to shift places after every 3 minutes as some of us were asked to move towards the compartment where the Visa officers were: THE DANGER ZONE.

So finally, it was time for the litmus test.
I entered into the area where applicants ere facing interview. I got a my ds-160 code attached on my passport. After a while, I faced the finger print test and then stayed on the queue to take the interview. I saw a young lady in one of the counters and I just wished she were my interviewer, since women are actually more friendly. I was not looking at others’ interview. I was just reciting in my mind that I am the best and I can do it. The assistant beside me told to go to the counter with free space and I intently went to the counter of the young beautiful lady. Not very much though!!!!!!!!!


VO: Namaste
I : Namaste, How are you ma’am?
VO: I am good. So, Which universities did you apply?
I don’t know why but my tongue twisted between answers of which universities I applied and which universities I got selected. I did not stop. Though I knew she was not understanding my answer, I kept on speaking. Then,she requested me repeat my answer and I was like,”Ohhhhh, calm down.”

I : I applied to 11 universities. I was accepted at six universities.
VO: In which universities did you get accepted?
I : Apart from Youngstown State university, I was accepted at Howard University, Whitman College, University of Texas at Arlington, Minnesota state university, Mankato, and St.Cloud State University.

VO: Which were the universities you desperately wanted to go but did not got accepted?
I : Those were Rice University and Emory university.
VO: tell me about your plan after graduation.

I : After being graduated, I will first of all invest my few months in National Center for Photovoltaics, USA to gain experience in engineering aspects of solar energy. Then, I will take the public service commission examination and work as a technical officer in the government department called Alternative energy promotion center.

In Nepal, everyone of us only talks of about the hydro power, but during my research for writing an article for my school magazine, I came to the fact that just by utilizing 0.5 % land of Nepal for installing solar panels we can produce 1,50,000 gigawatt hours of energy every year (The VO was surprised as I had anticipated) which is more than the annual demand of Nepal including fuel demands.
So being a technical officer, I will work on improving the efficiency of solar panels in Nepal. I will introduce the multi-junction photovoltaics cells which have thrice efficiency than the conventional poly-crystalline silicon solar cells used in Nepal at present. I will also promote the use of hydrophobic coating of solar panels which is one of the cheapest method to protect solar panels from dust particles. Doing this, we can increase their efficiencies by 30% more
I want to make my country a gasoline free country. In last fiscal year, the total import of petroleum products of Nepal exceeded the whole export by 45 billion Nepalese rupees. If we are able to produce solar energy in a huge amount and promote solar cooking, electric vehicles, and other electric devices, we can make our industries, our homes, our offices everything on 100 percent green energy which is solar energy.
(Throughout this answer, I was looking at my facial expressions and hand gestures on my mirror’s reflection and they were as good as I wanted them to be)
The VO had already started typing something looking at my i-20 and I thought Now no one can stop me from getting me the visa

VO: How much has your family saved for your education?
I : My family has saved around 40k USD in the form of different fixed deposits and saving accounts.
VO: Who are your sponsors?
I : My parents and my elder brother are my sponsors.
VO: What do they do?
I : My elder brother is a doctor. He earns 15k dollars per year. My father is the secondary level teacher of social sciences. He earns around 8k dollars per year. My mom looks after the cattle field which is near our hometown. From there, we earn around 10k per year. We have also given 8 rooms in rent in our another house and doing this we earn around 7k per year So, total income of my family is 40k per year
VO: Do you have any other siblings?
I : No ma’am. I only have an elder brother who is a doctor.
VO: Okay I am signing your passport. After hearing this, I did not try to hear anything. I knew that she would be telling about counter no. 11. I thanked her and said, “ You made my day.”

After my interview, the man standing behind me who also got the visa told me that everyone was laughing at me listening to my English accent. He said it was not the way Nepalese speak English. You got the visa because of your confidence. I thought,” Really.”


Tips:

  • The first and the most important thing is think that the VO actually knows nothing. He/she is just a person who is curious about your future. You are the hero, the superstar, of the interview
  • Do not stop if you think my answer has gone wrong. Being silent means end of the interview.
  • For why this university question, describe research facilities, scholarship,and most importantly target a professor of your department and find the research the professor is doing( Note: It should have link with your future plans)
  • For plan after graduation, it’s better to work in a government institute or very well recognized private institute closely related to your field rather than saying I will start my own. VO’s not only want that you contribute to the society but also get the huge investment back you have done on your education.
  • Add an internship or master’s degree program between your graduation and return to Nepal. It shows that you are career oriented student.
  • For why this major, do not go waste too much long time in the background information like since my childhood…… , try to come to your plan after graduation as soon
  • Do not hesitate to tell lies, but tell which are realistic. Hand gestures, facial expressions, fluency of English, and self-confidence – these are the things you need for nailing the interview.
  • Get ready for counterattacking questions. I had prepared for questions like why not hydro power, what have you done in physics, tell me about the city your university is located , why not Nepal etc









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nepal the hometown of nature